Are you not able to sync your bookmarks, passwords, and other elements of the Microsoft Edge browser on various devices that you use? Then follow this guide to know the troubleshooting methods you need to follow to fix the sync issues on Microsoft Edge.
Everyone these days uses multiple devices starting from smartphones, tabs, PC, and laptops. If you are using the Microsoft Edge browser then syncing keeps the browsing data securely available on all devices. With sync enabled on Microsoft Edge, you don’t have to separately enter passwords for accessing a website from all the different devices you use. Syncing helps autofill the password and log you in a split-second.
Now, let’s discuss why sync issues may be happening on Microsoft Edge? Most users who are not tech-savvy or are new to using the Edge web browser may not know they have to enable sync to make the feature work across various devices on which they use the Edge browser.
Sync is Paused, Sign in again in Microsoft Edge
It may be some faulty third-party extension integrated on the Edge browser is causing the issue with the sync. The browser version of Edge you are using may be outdated and thus glitching causing the sync feature to not work as intended.
Best Ways to Fix Sync Issues on Microsoft Edge
Here are the various tried and tested fixes that resolve the sync issues on Microsoft Edge.
Update Microsoft Edge
You must ensure that your PC is running the latest version of the Edge browser. An outdated browser can cause software bug issues and may hinder several features Edge browser has to offer.
- Open the Edge browser on your computer.
- Then click on the 3-dot button at the top-right corner of the screen. Select Settings.
- Next, from the left-hand panel, click on About Microsoft Edge.
- Normally, when the PC is connected to a metered network or WiFi, the browser updates itself automatically.
- For everyone reading this article, simply connect to WiFi on your PC and Edge will upgrade to its latest available version as you launch the browser.
Enable Sync on the Edge Browser
Unless you enable sync the browsing data will not be shared across the various devices on which you use the Edge browser. To check if sync has been enabled or not,
- Open the Microsft Edge browser on your PC.
- Then click on your avatar.
- From the menu select Manage Profile Settings.
- Next, click on Sync to get into its settings.
- If Sync is enabled, you will see a message “Sync is On”.
- Otherwise, click on the option Turn On sync.
Additionally, you may also consider enabling various elements under the Sync settings so that every aspect of browsing data is synced.
Clear Cached Data on Edge
The cached data on the web browser helps in loading the website and webpages that you access frequently.
Though it sounds like a productive feature, over time accumulated browser data can act as junk and cause technical snags on the browser. So, to fix that clearing the cached data on the Edge browser is recommended.
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Delete and the Clear Browsing Data dialog box will show up.
- Set the Time Range to All Time.
- Also, click on the check box Cached Images and Files.
- Then click on the button Clear Now.
Disable the Third-Party Extensions Installed on Edge
The best way to figure out a faulty web browser extension is to disable all the extensions that you have installed. Then enable them individually. If one extension is faulty you will notice it will cause disturbance on the browser and not let a few features work properly.
- Launch the Microsoft Edge.
- In the URL bar, type edge://extensions/ and press enter.
- You will see the list of extensions that you have integrated with the Edge browser.
- Simply, click on the toggle beside the extension name to disable them. First, disable all the extensions.
- To enable again click on the toggle beside the browser extension.
Enable Cookies for your Microsoft Account
You can save your browsing data to your Microsoft account through which you are logged in to the Edge browser. To do this,
- Open the Edge browser.
- Click on the 3-dot button at the top-right corner and click on Settings.
- On the left-hand panel, click on Cookies and Site Permissions.
- Then click on Manage and Delete Cookies and site Data.
- Navigate to the tab Allow and click on Add.
- When the Add A site dialog box shows up, enter the website name as account.microsoft.com
- Click on Add to finish the process.
Reset Sync Feature
If you see that even after enabling the sync feature, you are not able to sync the browsing data through all your device, then you should reset the sync feature on Edge. Here are the steps to do it.
- Open the Microsoft Edge browser.
- In the address bar put the following URL and press enter.
- You will end up on the sync settings page.
- Navigate to the Reset Sync tab and click on the option Reset Sync.
- There will be a checkbox citing “Resume Sync on This Device After Resetting Sync”. Click that.
- Then confirm the action by clicking on Reset.
Reset Microsoft Edge
While most of the above troubleshooting methods should work in fixing the sync issue on the Edge browser, you can still opt for resetting Microsoft Edge. This will remove all the settings and browsing data along with the browser extension that you may have installed on the browser.
- Open the Microsft Edge browser on the PC.
- In the address bar, enter this URL edge://settings/reset
- Now, press enter.
- Then you will be redirected to the Reset profile Settings page.
- Click on the option Restore Settings to Their Default Values.
- Then confirm that action by clicking on the Reset button.
So, follow all these troubleshooting methods and fix the sync issue on Microsoft Edge. The browsing experience is most enjoyable when the browsing data is platform-independent and is seamlessly available on all the devices you use. Hence, it is important to resolve the sync feature and get it working again.
If you've any thoughts on How to Fix Microsoft Edge Not Syncing?, then feel free to drop in below comment box. Also, please subscribe to our DigitBin YouTube channel for videos tutorials. Cheers!