Facebook is the worlds most popular social media platform. Every month more than 2 Billion people use FB. The service has more than profiles on the service with more. Users upload more than 200 million photos every day. If you are looking to search for photos on FB or if you have a picture and looking to find the profile or related data of the same then you can try the following methods.
How to Search an Image on Facebook?
Facebook Search differs from Google. Google crawls and indexes the images based on Alt text while Facebook has to look at 3 important factors while displaying image for a search query.
- It has the ability to Crawl Facebook Photos based on Account ID
- It also has to take into account the privacy settings of the users
- Can only display public photos
Photos with a public setting will always appear in the results, therefore, privacy settings on the user’s FB account is a determining factor. If the images with a privacy setting of ‘Freind’ or ‘Freind of Freind’ is set by a user than it is difficult to find the pictures unless you are any way closely connected with the person.
In general, to search for pictures on Facebook, sign into the account and type in the relevant keyword/s and FB will show you the result based on the query. You can also search for a specific picture by adding the phrase ‘Photos of XYZ’ to get more credible results.
Alternatively, there is a long tedious process to search for images and profiles. You can visit Facebook.com/directory and use the options to narrow down the characters to find the specific profile.
How to Find a Facebook Profile With an Image?
Here are methods to Find the FB profile of a user based on an image.
1. Using Photo ID
If the Photo is taken from a Facebook account then you can try the following method to identify the identity of the image.
- Look at the file name of the picture.
- The picture will have fb in the file name.
- The file will have three sets of numbers separated by periods. Locate the middle set of numbers. Eg. fbid=737463636537e&set=a.12599254846537.2345.107445546444&. The underlined set is what we are looking for. (Make sure it does not include any decimal)
- This number set is the profile ID of a Facebook user.
- Type in the URL; https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=********
- In place of the ******* type the profile ID number
- Press enter and you should be able to see the profile of the FB user. Cheers!
The above method has some limitations based on the privacy settings of the user. But still, you can give it a try.
2. Using Reverse Image Search
Reverse Image Search is a powerful technology to find the source of the photo. Reverse Image Search helps you quickly discover similar images from the internet. You can upload the images onto the Search Engine and the Engine will display similar images from around the web.
If you upload a picture for ‘Search by Image’ then you will be shown all the similar photos along with the source and if the related URL with the pic is from Facebook than you can find the user and other information corresponding to the profile.
There are a number of online Reverse Image Search Engines to find the info for a photograph.
Search By Image – Google
- Just Visit images.google.com
- You will see a ‘Camera Icon’ along the search bar
- Click on the Icon and upload the image from your device gallery
- Hit enter and done you will be shown with results corresponding to the pic.
Tineye is specialised for rev image searching only, the steps are similar in nature, just upload the image or paste the URL and you will be greeted with all the related images and sites who host the images.
Bing Rev Image Search
Bing also has a similar feature by which you can search for the profile or info using an image. Just upload the image to the Bing engine by clicking on the camera icon and you will see all the related information if available.
The images are hosted anonymously and cannot be discovered by other users. All uploaded photos are automatically deleted.
3. Using SearchIsBack for Advanced FB Search
Search Is Back lets you find people by city, relationship status, school, first name, and more. Plus you can search for photos, events, posts, and other stuff. One good thing about this service is you don’t need FB’s complicated search terms. The service makes finding people on FB very simple with limited resource.
Conclusion: With the techniques above you find the users by means of an image by using the photo ID, URL or pic recognition technology. I hope you are not a creep and doing this for fair use only.
Do comment below for any assistance or support.
If you've any thoughts on Facebook Image Search | FB Reverse Image Search, then feel free to drop in below comment box.
Also, please subscribe to our DigitBin YouTube channel for more important updates. Cheers!