Google is very strict in keeping its products and services up to its policies. If Google finds any suspicious or unusual activity on your account then it will strike out the access to the service. To help protect your account from fraud or abuse, Google might temporarily suspend your account. According to Google Help Support, the following activities may lock down your account which may last from a minute to 24 hours depending on the behaviour of your account usage detected by the system.
- Receiving, deleting, or downloading large amounts of ail via POP or IMAP in a short period of time.
- Sending large number of un-delivering messages
- Being logged into or synchronizing Gmail on many computers, clients, or mobile devices
- Providing access to file-sharing, file-storage software, email analytics services, browser extensions, or third party software that automatically logs in to your Gmail account.
- Inbox reloading issue while using on a browser
- Using Gmail at many locations
- Account access to third party apps causing misleading activities without your concern
- Incorrect sign-in attempts crossing over the limits (Hacking)
Google filters are very powerful and can detect any suspicious activity on your account. Filters may mark your invaluable and misleading mailing behaviour as spam. Thus resulting in blocking of your Gmail account access. Sometimes the lock down may last for 30 to 40 hours.
How to Unlock your Locked Gmail Account ?
Actually, everytime you sign in to your account, cookie data is taken up by the Google and is stored over its servers. These cookies and cache data help for further references for log-in. But when you enter an incorrect password cookies undergo expiration and when limit number of attempts are crossed the cookies expire. Thus locking your account.
You can access your locked Gmail account just by signing in using a different Google server. These servers do not any knowledge of cookies expiration and locking of your Google account hence can be used for login. New servers are fresh and thus, you can view and access your mails.
The above-mentioned method is one and if it doesn’t work you have no other option then waiting for your Gmail lock down uplifted by Google within 24 hours. But you can get access to your mails quicker than the set time with this following steps.
- Remove IMAP and POP settings made from your email software.
- Close all open Gmail instances in your devices and browsers
- Revoke access to third party apps and software
- Remove all the browser extensions.
- Clear cache of your broswer and Log-in again
You will get access to emails much sooner than set time by the system
How to avoid future lockdowns ?
- Do not send more than 500 limited messages and avoid bulk emails
- Do not have Gmail opened at different locations
- Avoid giving account access to third party apps or software
- Avoid sending large media files
- If your latest downloaded browser extension is causing issue, delete it.
How to avoid hacking attempts ?
If any hacking attempts are made on your account you can protect it from future advertence by setting up 2-step verification which prompts you to verify your identity by sending you message on your backup number or account.
Note & Conclusion: I hope you were able to unblock your temporary suspension by this methods. If they doesn’t work you have no other option then waiting for 24 -36 hours. If the wait doesn’t work then put your problem in Google Help Forum. Please comment below for any assistance, query or suggestions.