In this guide, I’m going to explain to you how to easily make a video call on WhatsApp Web and WhatsApp desktop app. Video calls were seen as a high-tech feature until the pandemic hit in 2020. People connected and met their families on a video daily through various platforms.
WhatsApp always takes the cake for its simplicity and platform-independent nature among all other apps and services providing video call features. Earlier, the WhatsApp video call was limited to one-on-one calls. However, seeing the demand, WhatsApp now supports up to 8 users in video conferencing.
You can place your video call on the WhatsApp desktop app as well. The feature is supported in two modes, portrait, and landscape. Also, like the regular WhatsApp messaging and WhatsApp voice calling, the video call feature is quite secure with end-to-end encryption.
What’s the System Support for WhatsApp Video Calling on Desktop App
When we are talking of desktop apps for WhatsApp, the primary platforms are Windows OS and the macOS. To carry out a WhatsApp video call, you have to use macOS 10 or higher. Similarly, Windows users must be Windows 10(64-bit) or the latest OS version to use video calling on WhatsApp.
Pre-Requisites to Make a Video Call on WhatsApp Web (Desktop App)
Here is the list of a few things you need to have before starting a video call session on WhatsApp.
- Install the latest version of WhatsApp on the desktop. Either get the app from Microsoft Store or download the WhatsAppSetup.exe from the official website of WhatsApp.
- The WhatsApp desktop app must be able to use the microphone and camera of the computer.
- Also, make sure to update the WhatsApp version to the latest build on your smartphone. This is important as you will be linking WhatsApp from the smartphone to your desktop app.
- A good quality web camera (preferably 720p or higher resolution). You may also use the in-built web camera of your laptop.
- A stable internet connection or WiFi to which both your smartphone and desktop are connected as you need to be online on both the devices. Your WhatsApp of smartphone needs to stay linked to the PC app to run or make calls.
Steps to Make a WhatsApp Video Call Through Desktop App
First, you need to link the WhatsApp smartphone and the WhatsApp desktop app.
- Open the WhatsApp desktop app on your PC. You will be instructed to connect to the PC by scanning the QR code using WhatsApp from your phone.
- Next, grab your smartphone and open WhatsApp.
- Tap on the 3-dot button in the top right corner, and from the menu, select Linked Devices.
- Tap on Link A Device and authenticate by entering phone password/pin or fingerprint.
- The QR scanner will open, and you have to point it at the QR code showing on the WhatsApp desktop app.
- Immediately your phone will be linked to the PC, and WhatsApp will open on the computer screen.
How to Make the WhatsApp Video Call
- Open any existing chat with any person with whom you may wish to start a video call.
- As the chat opens at the top, where the contact’s name will be displayed, there only you will see a camera icon.
- Click on the camera icon to start a video call with that contact.
- When you wish to cut or complete the video call, simply click on the red phone call icon, and the session will be finished.
Please note that it is important that the contact you are trying to video call must be on WhatsApp to connect via WhatsApp video call.
How to Mute Your Microphone During A Video Call
To let the other person on the video call speak, you may mute your microphone to avoid unnecessary feedback. To do that, simply click on the Microphone icon to cut it off. Later, when your turn comes to speak, you may click on the microphone icon again to enable it.
How to Receive A Video Call Request on WhatsApp
Now, let me show you how does it look at the receiving end of the WhatsApp Video call. Previously we saw how to create a call with any contacts on our WhatsApp contacts.
If you are expecting a video call on WhatsApp and when a call arrives on your phone, you will see three options. You have options to receive the incoming call, decline the call or send a message to the caller.
The incoming call will last for some 20 to 30 seconds or lesser, and if you do not receive the call, it will be declined automatically.
Is WhatsApp Video Call on Web Version Any Different Than the Desktop App
No. there is almost no difference. Just the way you linked your WhatsApp smartphone app with the desktop app, similarly open WhatsApp on the web browser. Then link the WhatsApp smartphone. The rest of the process for starting a video call remains the same.
So, that’s how you can make a video call on WhatsApp Desktop App or WhatsApp web. Always ensure to have a stable internet connection; otherwise, there will be a lot of interference and lag during the call.
If you've any thoughts on How to Make a Video Call on WhatsApp Web using Desktop App?, then feel free to drop in below comment box. Also, please subscribe to our DigitBin YouTube channel for videos tutorials. Cheers!