‘Hogwarts Legacy’ is a role-playing video game released in February 2023. It is developed by Avalanche Software and published by Warner Bros. Featuring the Wizarding World of Harry Potter; the game allows players to journey through the magical world and take classes at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Nevertheless, some PC users are experiencing crashes while playing Hogwarts Legacy. You don’t have to worry if you’re one of those players. You can fix Hogwarts Legacy’s keeps crashing issue in this article by following some effective solutions.
Why Does Hogwarts Legacy Keeps Crashing?
It is possible for Hogwarts Legacy to crash on your PC for a variety of reasons. You might be experiencing these problems for one of the following reasons:
- Outdated graphics card drivers
- High graphics settings
- Corrupted game files
- Compatibility issues
- Insufficient hardware specifications
- Running multiple programs in the background
- Antivirus software interference
- Windows issues such as missing or outdated system files
- Overheating of the PC
It is possible to resolve the crashing issue and play Hogwarts Legacy on your PC without any further issues by addressing these issues.
Top Ways to Fix Hogwarts Legacy Not Working on PC
It is an exciting game that will offer Harry Potter fans a unique experience. In spite of this, if the game constantly crashes on your PC, it can be frustrating and prevent you from enjoying it to its fullest. It is, fortunately, possible to try several solutions, including:
Fix 1: Update Your Graphics Card Drivers
One of the most important components of a gaming computer is its graphics card. In games, it renders graphics and animations. Having outdated graphics card drivers can lead to crashes and other problems. Firstly, you need to update your graphics card drivers. To do so, follow the steps given below:
- Open the Device Manager.
- After that, expand the Display Adapter tab.
- Now, right-click on the GPU name.
- Finally, hit the Update Driver button followed by Search Automatically For Drivers.
Fix 2: Lower Your Graphics Settings
To fix this problem, try lowering your game’s graphics settings if updating your graphics card drivers didn’t help. You may experience a crash when using high graphics settings because the graphics card is overstressed. Changing the graphics settings can reduce the strain on your graphics card, allowing the game to run more smoothly. Go to the game’s settings menu and lower the graphics settings in Hogwarts Legacy.
Fix 3: Disable Overclocking
You can boost your graphics card’s performance through overclocking. Nevertheless, if you push your hardware too hard, it can also cause stability issues and crashes. When your graphics card or other component is overclocked, try disabling it and then run the game normally. Keeping this in mind can help keep you from experiencing crashes and other problems with stability.
Fix 4: Verify Game Files
It is possible for game files to get corrupted or missing, causing the game to crash. If this issue persists, you can verify the game files through Steam or the game launcher. During the verification process, the game files will be checked for missing or corrupted files and edited accordingly. Here are the guidelines you need to follow in order to verify your game files:
- Simply open the Steam library.
- Then, locate and right-click on the game .exe file.
- Now, select the Properties option.
- Then, go to the Local Files.
- Click on the Verify Game Files Integrity button.
Fix 5: Run the Game in Compatibility Mode
Using compatibility mode can solve any problems running the game on your PC. With compatibility mode, you can run the game as if it was running on an older version of Windows. Follow these steps to run Hogwarts Legacy in compatibility mode:
- To access the properties of the game, right-click the launcher or the .exe file and select Properties.
- Select the Compatibility tab and select “Run this program in compatibility mode for.”
- Select an older version of Windows from the dropdown menu.
- You can now click on Apply and then OK.
Fix 6: Run the Hogwarts Legacy as an Administrator
It may be helpful to run the game as an administrator in order to resolve crashing issues. Follow these steps to run the game as an administrator:
- Right-click the Hogwarts Legacy icon on your desktop or Steam library.
- From the dropdown menu, select “Properties.”
- Navigate to the “Compatibility” tab.
- Then, select the “Run this program as an administrator” checkbox.
- Select “Apply” and then “OK“.
- Launch the game and see if it still crashes.
Fix 7: Disable Full-Screen Optimization
It has been reported that some games can be affected by a feature called “Full-Screen Optimization” in Windows 11. Here are the steps you need to follow in order to disable this feature for Hogwarts Legacy:
- In your Steam library or desktop, right-click on the Hogwarts Legacy icon.
- Using the dropdown menu, select “Properties.”
- Navigate to the “Compatibility” tab.
- Make sure “Disable full-screen optimizations” is checked.
- Select “Apply” and then “OK“.
- You can try launching the game again to see if it still crashes.
Fix 8: Disable Antivirus Software
There is a possibility that your antivirus program is interfering with the game and causing it to crash. If you still experience crashes after disabling your antivirus software, you should try temporarily disabling it. You may need to whitelist Hogwarts Legacy in order to prevent the game from being interfered with by your antivirus software.
Fix 9: Update Windows
You should ensure you have the latest version of your Windows operating system. In some cases, game crashes can be caused by outdated or missing system files. Follow these steps to check for updates:
- Go to the Windows Settings app.
- Select “Update & Security“.
- Then click “Check for updates“.
- Update your computer if necessary and restart your computer.
Fix 10: Check Your PC for Overheating
It is possible for your PC to crash as a result of overheating if you run demanding software such as games. Using a temperature monitoring tool like HWMonitor or CoreTemp, you can check the temperature of your PC. Your PC may be running hot if you have dust in its fans and vents or if you have added more cooling.
Fix 11: Reinstall The Game
The last resort is reinstalling the game if none of the above solutions works. If one of the game files is missing or corrupted, reinstalling it will replace it and reset the game settings to what they were. Here are the steps for reinstalling Hogwarts Legacy:
- If you’re using Steam, right-click Hogwarts Legacy and select Uninstall.
- If you aren’t using Steam, go to the Control Panel and select Programs and Features. In the list of installed programs, locate Hogwarts Legacy and select Uninstall.
- Go to the location where the game was installed using File Explorer. You can find the game in
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Hogwarts Legacy
- Delete Hogwarts Legacy from your computer.
- Now that the game has been downloaded and installed, you need to reinstall it. You can install Hogwarts Legacy on Steam if you purchase it from Steam.
If you've any thoughts on How to Fix Hogwarts Legacy Keeps Crashing on PC?, then feel free to drop in below comment box. Also, please subscribe to our DigitBin YouTube channel for videos tutorials. Cheers!