Windows users come across issues on their machines, now and then. One such error that has been troubling the Windows 11 users for quite a while is the error code 0xc00000e9. This problem is related to the Windows Boot Manager and it appears during or after the boot process.
Apparently, the Windows 11 error code 0xc00000e9 issue also hints at a possible hardware failure during the boot process. Commonly, you will be treated with an error message saying, “There was a problem problem with a device connected to to your PC, An unexpected I/O error has occurred. Error code: 0xc00000e9”. Due to this error, your device may also fail to load up the login screen.
If you have also come across this error message, then you are not alone. Thankfully, we have this guide for you to fix the Windows 11 error code 0xc00000e9. Having said that, let us jump right into it.
Reasons for Error 0xc00000e9 Windows 11
When a PC or laptop fails to communicate with the drive or disk, then it will throw up errors such as 0xc00000e9. This problem, as already mentioned, is related to the boot process. There are multiple reasons your Windows 11 device will show you this error. Some of which has been discussed below:
- Faulty external hardware
- Damaged input or output ports
- Corrupt system files
- Windows update related issue
- Presence of virus or malware
Now, that you are aware of some reasons why you would come across this error, let us take a look at the solutions.
1. Check hardware connection
If any of the hardware connected to your PC has a loose connection, then your Windows 11 PC will show you up with the 0xc00000e9 error. It is advised that you check for damaged ports or loosely connected hardware. You can start off by disconnecting peripherals like mouse, keyboard, speakers, monitors, printer, etc. Moreover, you can also try reinstalling the RAM, graphics card, and other internal components on your motherboard.
2. Reboot your PC
One of the simplest yet effective solutions to fix a bunch of common problems is to simply restart your PC. Notably, restarting your PC would refresh your system and it will load all system files from scratch. After turning off your Windows 11 machine, simply wait for about 10-20 seconds before turning it back ON.
3. Scan Windows 11 for errors
Here, you can make use of one of the built-in tools on Windows, i.e. the SFC Scan. It basically checks for corrupt system files and fixes along the way.
- Open command prompt as an administrator.
- Type in sfc /scannow and press Enter.
- It will initiate the system scan and will fix any errors if found any.
4. Update system drivers
Outdated drivers are also one of the reasons behind Windows 11 error code 0xc00000e9. Moreover, it is always advised that you keep all the drivers installed on your system up to date, as new software along with new features also brings stability and performance improvements. You can check for driver updates by using the Device Manager utility.
- Right-click on the Start menu button located on the taskbar.
- Select Device Manager from the list of options that appear.
- Again, right-click on the desired device and hit the Update driver button.
- In the next window that appears, simply click on the Search automatically for drivers button to let Windows search for the new drivers automatically.
- Do this process for all the required devices and see if this fixes the issue or not.
5. Scan PC for malware
As already mentioned, the presence of malware could also cause your Windows 11 PC to show a 0xc00000e9 error code. If the problem is preventing you from booting into Windows, then you should make use of a bootable antivirus tool. For this, you would need another PC on which you need to download the antivirus tool and then copy it to a bootable hard drive. Once done, plug it into the problematic PC and wait for the bootable antivirus tool to work on it.
6. Use startup repair
This Windows 11 error code 0xc00000e9 doesn’t allow you to access the login screen. In such a situation, you need to initiate the startup repair tool. This way, the system will automatically look for corrupt system files, and fix them along the way. Here is how to use startup repair:
- Bring up the Windows Settings menu via Windows+I shortcut keys.
- Then select System from the left menu bar and go to the Recovery section.
- Click on the Restart Now button next to Advanced Startup.
- Your PC will now boot to the Windows Recovery screen; select Troubleshoot from there.
- Then click on Advanced Options > Startup Repair.
- Your system will automatically take care of the remaining steps and fix the startup issue.
7. Associate Volume boot code with BOOTMGR
As a last resort, when none of the above methods work for you, then you can try to associate the volume boot code with BOOTMGR. Here are the steps that you need to follow.
- Here, you need to click on Advanced options.
- Under this menu, you need to click on Command Prompt.
- Type in bootsect nt60 /sys and hit Enter.
- Close the command prompt and restart your PC.
If you've any thoughts on How to Fix Recovery Error Code 0xc00000e9 on Windows 11?, then feel free to drop in below comment box. Also, please subscribe to our DigitBin YouTube channel for videos tutorials. Cheers!