Domain transfer can take anywhere between 30 minutes to 12 hours. Before you proceed forward with your domain name transfer it is important to verify that your domain is eligible for the same. In the post below I have provided complete detail about changing your domain registrar and also few FAQs related to the transfer.
Requirements for Domain Eligibility
Here are some basic requirements for your domain to be eligible for the transfer. Your domain must qualify these necessities for successful transfer.
- The domain must be registered for at least 60 days.
- If the domain is transferred earlier than also it should be 60 days old for a new transfer.
- The domain must be unlocked with your present registrar.
- Domain Whois status should be active/OK.
- Your domain must have an accessible email address for domain transfer confirmation.
1. Disable Whois Gaurd and Privacy Protection.
Whois guard and privacy protection may be enabled by default so you need to disable it for NameCheap to recognise your domain.
Disabling WHOIS Gaurd
- Go to Control panel of your BigRock Account.
- Here you will see an option of Privacy Protection. Click on it to open Manage Privacy Protection.
- Disable privacy protection and click on update privacy status. (This will disable WHOIS guard)
Disabling Registrar Lock
- In control panel, click on Theft Protection.
- In the message box, disable theft protection and update the status.
- Now your registrar lock is disabled.
2. Check for Domain Availability
Before the transfer process, it is important that the domain is available for the transfer with GoDaddy .
- Go to GoDaddy Transfer page and enter your the domain to be transferred.
- If you have disabled the WHOIS and Registrar lock, then domain should be aviliable for transfer. Click on proceed.
- Login and purchase the domain name.
3. Authorize Domain Trasnfer
You need to authorise the domain transfer after you have purchased it.
Get Transaction ID
- In your Godaddy Account and under domains click on Manage (In some cases you may find the manage option in Products > Domains).
- Now select Transfer and click on Authorize transfer.
- Click on Add Now
- Here you will see options of Transaction ID and Security Code.
- Enter the trasnfer ID GoDaddy sent to the admin via registered Email and then click add.
Get EPP or Security Code
- Go to BigRock Control panel and click on Domain Secret Code to obtain your EPP code.
- Now in GoDaddy open Basic Tab and enter the security code next to the domain field.
- You can also select Advanced Tab and enter the domain name along with EPP code (You can add number of domains for transfer with unique EPP code seperated by spaces or comas).
- CLick on I authorize the transfer and followed by finish and OK.
4. Transfer Status and Confirmation
- You can check the transfer status under manage domain > Pending Transfers
- Here you will get the information about the domain transfer the Admin EMail
- After a few minutes (sometimes within a single day) you may recieve a Confirmation Mail from BigRock about the transfer.
- Click on the link in the mail to confirm the domain transfer.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. Will it Effect my DNS Records ?
DNS records are not stored with the domain registration. So, your DNS records will not be lost. When you transfer a domain name, gaining registrars will leave the nameserver associated unchanged, so your DNS records will keep working.
2. Do I Need to Again Add DNS Nameservers ?
If you are using any external DNS provider, you don’t need to do anything else. But if your previous registrar was your DNS provider then you need to copy the Nameservers manually.
3. Will my Website Close during Transfer Period ?
Yes, your domain may face a downtime for few minutes during the transfer process.
4. How many Days will it take for the Domain to Transfer ?
Based on ICANN rules, they have up to 5 to 8 days to accept; this delay allows to prevent fraud transfers.
Note & Conclusion: If the domain is not transferred check the transfer status. Also contact the GoDaddy and BigRock for support.