Is the Apple Maps not working on your iPhone? Then I will help you solve this problem through this guide. Now, a lot of people are more into Google Maps. On the other hand, when you are an Apple fan, maybe you would trust Apple Maps more than anything else.
If you are traveling somewhere and only got the Apple Map on your iPhone, and it gives up, then you are lost on the road. You won’t know how to get to your destination or know the correct route. At times certain places have no network. It will add to your woe when Apple Maps is not working on your iPhone.
I have mentioned the possible reasons why Apple Maps may not work. Also, I have detailed the guidelines that you need to follow to fix the issues.
Why is Apple Maps Not Working on Your iPhone?
Here are the possible reasons for Apple Maps not showing the travel route or destination on the iPhone.
- No Network Coverage in the specific area where you are present
- Cellular Data is disabled for Apple Maps. So, when WiFi is not available(mostly while traveling), then Apple Maps simply doesn’t work.
- Some bug in the Apple Maps app that needs to be fixed
- If you are on a beta iOS version, then that may have some bugs that are messing up the Apple Maps.
- Your iPhone is running out of storage, thus disallowing the Apple Maps to write in new data when you use it.
- Maybe there is a problem with the network settings that need to be fixed.
Ways to Fix Apple Maps Not Working on the iPhone
Now that we know the problems, we will fix them all and bring Apple Maps back to life.
Reboot your iPhone
If there is some minor software glitch, then restarting the iPhone should fix it. This is the first troubleshooting you should go for before going for anything else.
- Press the Power button and hold it for a second
- Then in the next screen that you see, slide the switch off symbol to turn the iPhone off.
- Wait for a second or two, and then restart your iPhone.
- Then access Apple Maps and check whether it is showing routes and other places correctly.
Check if Network is Available in That Region
Often when you are traveling, then in certain regions, the ISP whose SIM card you’re using may not be providing service in that region. Hence, you won’t get any network until you pass that region and get to a place with the proper network coverage. As there is no network, then Apple Maps will not load.
Normally, when you travel overseas, then you should buy the SIM card of the network provider of the region in which you are staying. Then you can use the internet services easily.
Otherwise, wait until you get to a location that offers free WiFi to which you can connect your iPhone and use Apple Maps. Take screenshots of your travel route or location and save them to Photos. Later, when the signal isn’t there, you can easily use the map screenshots to travel.
Enable Cellular Data for Apple Maps
In case you’re traveling, and your iPhone is not connected to any active WiFi, then with your cellular data, you can still traverse through Apple Maps. For that, you have to enable Cellular Data for Apple Maps.
- Launch the Settings app on the iPhone
- Navigate to Mobile Data and tap on it.
- Now, you will see the list of apps for which cellular data is enabled
- Scroll to Maps and check if cellular data is enabled for it or not
- If it is disabled, tap the switch to allow it to use cellular data without WiFi.
Note: If you’re connected to WiFi and still Apple Maps is not responding, then you can try to disconnect and reconnect to that WiFi. This trick works most of the time. Often when a lot of users access the same WiFi, it may cause the connectivity to slow down. This happens usually when you are connected to a public WiFi network such as in Airports or Railway Stations.
Enable Location Services and Precise Location for Apple Maps
Make sure that Apple Maps can point your exact location in a region. This can be achieved by enabling the Precise Location option and Location Services feature under the iOS settings.
- Open the Settings App.
- Go to Privacy and tap on it.
- Now navigate to Location Services.
- Next in the list of apps, scroll to Maps and tap on it.
- Under Allow Location Access select While Using the App
- Similarly, make sure to enable the Precise Location by tapping on the switch
With Precise Location enabled, Apple Maps can figure out where exactly you are situated at the time of using the map and will show you route details and everything else.
iPhone is Low on Storage
Does your Apple Maps crash when you try to use it.? Then most likely, the problem lies with the storage. If your iPhone native storage is full, then the Maps app will not be able to save new data on your iPhone each time it runs.
So, the solution is to clear your device storage.
- Open the Settings App > tap on General
- Navigate to iPhone Storage and tap on it.
- Now, you can see the available storage space and the consumed storage.
- Then you can remove the data or uninstall apps that you do not use to make space for the Maps app to write new data.
Alternatively, you can timely take data backup to Apple iCloud, provided you have enough cloud storage available.
Update Apple Maps
The Maps app may have some bugs that need fixing. So, you can install a new update from the App Store.
- Open the App Store App
- Navigate to the top-right corner and tap on the profile picture
- Then check the list of apps waiting to get updated
- If the Maps app is present in the list, then tap on the Update button beside it.
After the Maps app is updated to a newer version, check whether it is working fine or not.
Download Fresh iOS build on your iPhone.
If you are running a beta build of iOS, then it may be buggy and cause the Apple Maps to not work. So, try to install the latest version of iOS if it is available.
- Open Settings app
- Go to General and tap on it
- Then tap on Software Update
- iOS will search for available updates and will prompt you to download it
- When you’re prompted to capture the update, tap on Download and Install
- Let the update download and install, which will take some time.
- After that, use Apple Maps and check whether it is now working or remains buggy.
Reset Network Settings
If you are facing frequent network connectivity troubles while trying to use Apple Maps, then you can try resetting the iPhone network settings for better results.
- Open the Settings app and tap on General
- Under that, go to Transfer or Reset iPhone
- Then tap on Reset
- From the menu that will show up, select Reset Network Settings
- Enter the passcode to confirm and proceed with the resetting process
- After the iPhone resets and reboots, check the Apple Maps and see whether it is working now.
So, these are the various workarounds that you can try to fix the Apple Maps if it is not working on your iPhone. Maps are an essential tool while traveling, so make sure to fix up this issue.
If you've any thoughts on How to Fix Apple Maps Not Working on iPhone?, then feel free to drop in below comment box. Also, please subscribe to our DigitBin YouTube channel for videos tutorials. Cheers!